Tuesday 10 May 2016

What I am looking forward to at Kaya Festival, and a nice little offer for my readers!

Following on from my post the day My top 5 family festival wishlist ,  I am absolutely thrilled to say that me and the children have been invited to be guests of Kaya Festival and I am really looking to writing about our experiences at the festival, and making some fabulous memories. Kaya festival takes place between the 04th, 05th, 06th and 7th of August so hopefully the weather will be kind to us!

So why did I choose Kaya to be on my wishlist?

Kaya is a family festival of world music and culture. Kaya features a diverse range of music including African, Jamaican, European, Latin American, Asian and other World Music. I absolutely love world music, and working in the field of Equality and Diversity, I know that the more diverse the music, the better it will be! I also know that the children will love hearing new music, hearing new instruments and experiencing different cultures. I love the fact that this will broaden their horizons and help them appreciate the global world around them. 

The fact that it is set in the beautiful Margam Country Park (between Swansea and Cardiff- just off Junction 38 of the M4) means that the 850 acre surroundings will be breathtaking and its also very local to me, so no long journeys with the children moaning about whether we are nearly there yet. The country park already offers a full day out of activities for the children, which we regularly visit, so the fact that there will also be this amazing festival there will just top it all off and make it a family festival experience second to none. 

Courtesy of Phunked-Up photography


It's also amazingly affordable. Just remember that the more money you pay doesn't always translate into a good family festival experience. I have found some of the expensive festivals inferior to some of the smaller much more affordable festivals. Having big mainstream popular artists is not top of my list of priorities, and with the bigger mainstream festivals, this will be what you will be paying for rather than a intimate family friendly affair. 

Kaya tickets are now on sale for an amazing price of £99 for the whole weekend including camping and parking. Children 15 and under also go free which I think is fantastic value as most family festivals charge for children aged 5 and over. 

I have a very exciting special offer for my readers. You can get a adult full weekend ticket for £70 by clicking here and by entering the discount code 'Invite'. Day tickets are also available for £25 each and there is a 2 for 1 deal currently on

What's on for families?

Where to start! There is a huge range of workshops and activties on aimed at families. These range from Storytelling workshops, the Panic Circus, bubble shows (Rainbow Gecko),  Mad Science Workshops- which my kids will love as they have already been to one of their workshops and really enjoyed, Jitterbug Circus and drumming workshops

Image Courtesy of Kaya Festival
It looks as if there will be plenty for us to do, and we simply cannot wait. 

What's the camping set up for families?

There is both a general camp site and a dedicated family camp site. The family camping is furthest away from the main arena to reduce the amount of noise disruption at night. Camping is available from the Thursday night to the Monday morning . 

The camping is secured and monitored so that provides extra reassurance for families who may be worried about noisy neighbours. 

Parking is very near to the camp site which makes it so much easier when you have young children, and are worried about carrying heavy camping stuff over long distances.

There is a zero tolerance of drugs and anyone found with drugs will be asked to leave and prosecuted, so again extra reassurance for those with children.  

Camping stoves can be used so that will be perfect for us as I usually take our own food. 

How accessible is the festival?

Working in the field of Equality and Diversity, it is always important to me that events are accessible for all, and those who use wheelchairs, pushchairs or have restricted mobility can come and enjoy the event as much as everyone else. Some of the festivals I have visited have been very inaccessible so its great news that the main arena of Kaya is accessible with concrete level paths and roads. Carers can also attend free when attending with a disabled person. 

Who is playing there?

The line up is amazing with a great mix of well known and less well know world music acts. I love discovering new music so am really looking forward to who I discover over the weekend. 

Image Courtesy of Kaya Festival


Highlights in the line up for me are Asian Dub Foundation, Craig Charles, Judge Jules and Melbourne Ska Orchestra.  There are plenty more artists playing so we will hopefully be checking out some new music to add to my world music favourite artists.   

All in all, it looks a cracking festival and I am hoping that my friends and family will join me in this awesome experience!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I love Kaya and cannot wait for this year! It is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing festival - look forward to your posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun, I love how family-friendly and accessible they're making it! :)

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to take my girls to a festival, but I just find them to be so expensive and far away from I live! This one sounds fab though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Festivals like this are brilliant. I look forward to reading about what you get up to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an amazing festival experience. Love all the family-friendly activities they have on offer x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts, but spam is not welcome!